Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

Tencho Dairi? and an inside view of vg

I cannot imagine how a cat would handle an actual deck but...



Still practicing the blasters deck.
It's quite a complicated deck to play. I have no idea how kids can play this game so fast.
When I start, I have to contemplate on how to win the scissors paper stone since it matters. Going first essentially negates the fact that there aren't good enough blasters at grade 1 since my first attack would be at grade 2.

Then, I have to think of how many cards to put back. Having 1 grade 1 makes things easier but it gets much harder when you don't. Say you have 2s and 3s, I still have yet to come to a conclusion as whether or not to keep only a grade 2 or both a 2 and 3 in order to maximize the odds of getting a grade 1.
Chances of getting a grade 1 is less than 1/3 which means that I realistically cannot count on shipping 3 cards away. There is a draw step draw.
With 13 g1, shipping 3 cards away would see a g1 at a 74% chance. (3 in 4 games)
Shipping 4 cards would see a g1 at a 81% chance. (4 in 5 games)

If I ride at grade 1, I have to consider which to ride because it impacts the game on the 2nd/3rd turn after this. It gets much easier at g2 and 3 but g1 is tough to call. Usually, it comes down to what the expected g3 vanguard would be. The extra power might be crucial or it might not.

After which I need to plan where to put wingal brave and that requires imaging of my g2 turn. If I have a 10k blaster in hand, it's fine to move it behind the vg. If I have trumpeter, it would be better to move aside. If I have blasters, it can stay behind. If I don't have a g2, odds are better behind. However, it can get stuck there if I miss a g3 and lack power to hit anything post guards.

There comes the decisions of what to call where and what to attack. Small rgs can be ignored because being there limits the maximum attack potential of that line.
I usually go for the g2s but extra evaluation is required for the other grades. Then there is planning of how to fill the lines which is very important because you have to waste a card to take a spot.

For mixed clans, there is an extra complication of:
-no triggers if there aren't on-clan guys
-perfect guard cannot guard off-clan guys
An empty board with off-clan vg= free slaps
Clearing an on-clan rgs with off-clan vg= free slaps

You hardly want to be on your vg with your secondary clan. :(

Then there is how to guard.
For 2x drive, odds are as follows:
2x triggers: 1/9
1x trigger: 4/9
0x trigger: 4/9
Assuming a trigger is approx 1/3.

If need be, you can throw a 0 trigger guard and you're safe about half the time. A safe guard would be a guard for 1 trigger. A no fail (not assuming stand trigger) is guarding for 2 triggers. I guess that is why I want some stand triggers amongst the 16.

Triggers and intercepts can be used to negate weak attacks too by not giving them a target to hit.

Planning the power in each line comes very early. You ideally want equal or equal plus increments of 5ks. Everything in between is redundant. Say my majesty lord blaster at 12k. There is no difference having 4k or 7k boost if facing a 10k target but the difference of 7k and 8k is one whole trigger's worth.

Positioning of the small rgs is important in a grindy game and their value alters with the presence of stand triggers.
Say you have g1 8k and g0 4k in a line.
Stand: 8k front
Protect the line: 8k boost

As 'serious' gamers, we always do things at the marginal level to get that extra 1 game win. I'm still making plenty of mistakes. I guess being older doesn't mean much without practice. Tons of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment