Pages

Monday 22 April 2013

Vanguarding



I am midway of clearing the game on my second try. I've already gotten a grasp on the game and its intricacies. I probably can share about my findings soon.

Vanguard as a game is very well done in its gameplay, pace, deck building, randomness and its appeal. I am not a fan of how most cards are stuck to their own clans but that plays out one of the game's core mechanics.

For the 3ds game, it is very nicely done. I get to clock games and play against a variety of decks. I guess there is a limit to how good the AI can be since they cannot read into your future moves to try disrupt you. Still, you get very decent gameplay (if you discount their possibly not optimized decks).

I tried one online match but I did not play it well so I ultimately lost as the game dragged out. I want to secure some promo cards to complete the blaster deck before I challenge people again. (The promo blaster blade has no ability? Thankfully their trial decks come with playsets of everything)

Against AI, I have tried some other clans but those need much more polishing (and more cards).

Cards are surprisingly hard to procure. A playset of a common would need me to crack about a full box (of 30) and some high rarity cards may need 2 full boxes to see one.

Now, I'm not rushing to clear the game so I'll try to find out where the promo cards are hiding by playing every side game.

For the iphone app, I think the game might be one that you can eventually get a full team of the highest rarity for (I didn't get anything past R of N, R, R+, SR) since the means to get them are not exclusive to money payers.

The game takes some time to play because of its monopoly die roll system and the fact that you need connection for each roll.
The main parts I dislike are:
-the fact that stamina takes 10mins to charge 1 pt and it takes a few pts to make a roll
-the fact that your battle pts don't let you fight twice without a few more pts of recharge on the field

Gameplay otherwise is fine. If they tweak the above 2 points, it would be a very decent game I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment